Eligibility for EMERGE
The program is available to anyone who works for a LeadingAge California member (including, but not limited to voting members as well as associate members), irrespective of position or work experience. it is far more important for Fellows to demonstrate potential within their organizations than it is for them to carry specific job titles.
LeadingAge California provides complimentary registrations to Fellows for the 2019 Annual Conference and the 2020 RISE Summit. Meals are provided during each class session at no additional cost. Continuing Education Units will be awarded to Fellows after each session for the 2019-2020 program. A $2699.99 tuition payment (non-refundable and non-transferable) is required from each Fellow's sponsoring organization. In addition, all lodging and travel expenses will be paid by the sponsoring organization (the costs incurred vary depending on the locations of the face-to-face learning experiences).
Fellows should plan on spending between 10-15 hours a month working on EMERGE Leadership Development program activities in addition to one hour each month for regular email contacts and to participate in the EMERGE online forum.
* A limited number of tuition scholarships are available. For scholarship information, please contact Kevin Tuuaga at (916) 469-3365 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission Materials & Deadline
A brief summary description of your experience in the field of aging services and the responsibilities associated with your current position (please limit your submission to no more than one page).
A 1-2 page essay response to all three questions below (applicants must submit three separate essays total). Please make sure you provide enough information to give the selection committee insight into your experience and desire to be part of this program. One or two sentence answers are not recommended (please limit your submission to no more than two pages per essay).
Describe the capabilities you possess that make you an effective leader and the specific ways in which you have utilized these attributes in your personal and professional life. In doing so, please refer to a significant professional achievement, your specific role in attaining that achievement and the impact it had on you and your organization.
Describe the perspective and knowledge you hope to acquire as a result of your participation in EMERGE.
Describe your personal commitment to the field of aging services and how you envision using your experience in EMERGE to enhance aging services within your organization, your community and at the state level.
Three letters of reference (one personal and two professional):
We suggest approaching selected references early in the process to ensure they are completed prior to the application deadline.
Please complete the application online no later than Friday, February 22, 2019. All applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. to be considered for review. Applications that fail to meet all guidelines or are incomplete will not be considered for review. Applicants will receive notification of acceptance into the EMERGE Leadership Development program the week of March 11, 2019.
All application submissions will be carefully reviewed to ultimately assemble a diverse class of Fellows (in terms of life experience, work experience, geography, type of organization, as well as other unique characteristics). A committee of LeadingAge California member leaders will evaluate applications using the following criteria:
- How well-defined, insightful and introspective are the leadership essays?
- How well does the applicant demonstrate a personal commitment to the field of aging services?
- How well does the applicant demonstrate a dedication to lifelong learning?
- To what extent does the applicant possess the capacity to become a transformational leader?
Sponsoring Organization's Commitment
If selected, the Fellow's organization agrees to:
- Provide $2699.99 tuition in full by Friday, March 29, 2019 along with any other travel, meals and lodging costs associated with the program for all four class sessions.
- Allow adequate time for the completion of assignments that will enhance the understanding and application of the content areas of each session.
- Allow time for the fellow to attend all four course sessions, connect monthly with their coach and actively participate in distance learning activities.
- An acceptance letter will be mailed requiring an original signature by the President, CEO, Executive Director or Administrator of the sponsoring organization.
If selected, the Fellow agrees to:
- Attend and actively participate in each of the four course sessions - no exceptions unless a letter is written by the sponsoring organization to LeadingAge California.
- Complete assignments to enhance the understanding and application of the content areas.
- Actively participate in the EMERGE online discussion forum and monthly conference calls with your team and assigned coach.
- Connect monthly with your coach to discuss assignments and additional professional development opportunities.
- Remain employed with a LeadingAge California member for the duration of the program.
- An acceptance letter will be mailed to the applicant requiring an original signature.
Ready to submit?