Equity and Inclusion
LeadingAge California Creates Equity Cabinet
Equity and inclusion are a core principle for what we do – in Life Plan Communities, Skilled Nursing Facilities, Assisted Living Communities, Independent Living, Affordable Senior Housing, Home Health, Hospice, PACE, Community-Based Services, and other venues serving older adults. In turn, the current and future residents, patients, board members and staff in these communities reflect the racial, ethnic, and spiritual diversity of California.
In this spirit, LeadingAge California formed an Equity Cabinet to review and make recommendations to increase diversity and equity in our field.
"LeadingAge California stands against injustice and in support of the health, safety and just treatment of Black lives. Our members span the full continuum of housing, care and services for older adults, and together we embrace diversity, equity and inclusion" states Jeannee Parker Martin, LeadingAge California President & CEO. “Through the creation of this new cabinet, we will work together to ensure the workforce accurately and intentionally reflects the individuals we serve and affirms our commitment to equitable and inclusive environments.”
If you have questions about the new cabinet or have interest in lending your voice to the discussions, please contact email@example.com.
- Tribute to Win Marshall, LeadingAge's First Black Chairman. Rest in Peace- December 2020.
- Engage Magazine (Fall 2020): Leading in an Era of a Pandemic, Systemic Failures, and Racial and Social Unrest
- Kaiser Health News (Sept. 2020): Why Black Aging Matters, Too
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (Sept. 2020): U.S. racial inequality may be as deadly as COVID-19
- LeadingAge: Conversations with Katie (Aug. 2020): Systemic Racism - Let's Change Our Corner of the World
- NPR (July 2020): Black Voices on Racism: 'To Be Black in America at My Age is Exhausting'
- Psychology Today (June 2020): How Does Racism Affect African American Seniors?
- Washington Post (2020): Resources to understand America's history of injustice and inequality
- Engage Magazine (Summer 2020): Q&A with Sister Marie Taylor, Christian Church Homes (CCH)
USA Today: What is Systemic Racism?
George Washington University: What is the Difference Between Equity and Equality?
American Journal of Public Health: Persons with Disabilities as an Unrecognized Health Disparity Population
Center for Social Inclusion: What is Racial Equity?
YW Boston Blog: What is Intersectionality, and what does it have to do with me?
LGBT Aging Center: Serving Diverse Elders: Strategies for Meaningful Inclusion in Service Planning and Delivery
The Gerontologist: Healthy Ageing: Raising Awareness of Inequalities, Determinants, and What Could be Done to Improve Health Equity
National Academy of Medicine: Transportation Equity, Health, and Aging: A Novel Approach to Healthy Longevity with Benefits Across the Lifespan
Stria News: Building Toward Age Equity: Three Inter-changing Models
Next Avenue: Aging While Black
American Psychological Association: African American Older Adult and Race-Related Stress, How Aging and Health-Care Providers Can Help
Justice in Aging: Health Equity - Ensuring programs and services are delivered without discrimination
USA Today: 12 charts show how racial disparities persist across wealth, health, education and beyond
Is your community inclusive of its LGBTQ members? Take nine minutes to watch this QuickCast and learn how to provide equitable and culturally responsive services to LGBTQ older adults. Access the new session on Promoting LGBTQ Inclusivity in Aging Services for free on the Learning Hub and explore other diversity and inclusion resources.
Ensuring Equity in Aging: Join the California Department of Aging for a monthly peer-led Ensuring Equity in Aging webinar series featuring national, state, and local leaders! Learn how we can help make our communities a more just place and build a California for ALL Ages. Mark your calendars for every first Wednesday from 10 - 11 a.m. through July 2021.
- Culturally Informed Policy and Programs: The Culture of LGBTQ Older Adults >> WATCH THE VIDEO
- Culturally Responsive Services & Care With and For Black Elders >> REGISTER
- Openhouse offers ongoing resources and free classes and community meetings for LGBTQ and people of color>> REGISTER
Improving Data for American Indians and Alaska Natives: UCLA Center for Health Policy Research: 2020 Health Policy Seminar Series: WATCH THE VIDEO
Post Election Implications for Older Adults: There was much at stake for older adults in the election, particularly older adults of color, older women, LGBTQ older adults, and older immigrants. This webinar from Justice in Aging provides an overview of the election results and the current policy landscape, and review general opportunities and threats.
Virtual Town Hall: Combatting Ageism and Promoting Equity: California Department of Aging. WATCH
FACT SHEETS, ISSUE BRIEFS & MORE
The LeadingAge Summer Enrichment Program (SEP): is an internship program in the field of aging designed to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Summer Enrichment Program is supported by LeadingAge and its members. MORE
EQUITY AND AWARENESS TOOLKITS
MASTER PLAN FOR AGING
LeadingAge California Connect is an exclusive social platform that helps members connect with their profession, communicate with fellow members and collaborate to get work done. See what members are talking about! LEARN MORE