LeadingAge has developed a series of new tools and resources for skilled nursing facilities to help with the implementation of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Final Rule on Long-Term Care Requirements for Participation for Nursing Homes. CMS began implementing phase one of the rule on November 28th, 2016.
The new resources deal with the following sections of the rule:
• RoP Tools and Resources: Pharmacy Services (§483.45)
• RoP Tools and Resources: Quality of Care and Quality of Life (§ 483.25)
• Nursing Home RoP Tools and Resources: Resident Rights (§483.10)
LeadingAge members can access these resources online through my.Leadingage.
While the volume of the Phase 1 requirements seems daunting for communities to implement, the vast majority of this phase involves clarification of written policies and procedures and inclusion of new definitions.
In addition to the development of these resources, LeadingAge California would suggest the following items for communities to consider:
• Go through your own Policy/Procedure Manuals, section by section, to compare with each of the sections in the new rule and ensure that your language is in alignment.
• There are also identified areas of staff training that must be done and documented, much of which you have likely already been doing.
• Make sure you incorporate the new definitions, that you include new areas of resident rights, and that you have the necessary training in abuse, neglect and exploitation; dementia care, and feeding assistance, as outlined by the rule.
View the LeadingAge Phase 1 Implementation Summary that was published in December.