All applications will need to be submitted electronically. Applications must be received by February 20, 2023 to be considered. Applications that fail to meet all guidelines or are incomplete will not be considered. Applicants will receive notification of acceptance into the EMERGE Leadership Development program the week of March 6, 2023.
EMERGE 2023-2024 Schedule
- Session I: May 1-3, 2023 (in conjunction w/ Annual Conference) - Portola Hotel & Spa | Monterey, CA
- Session II: September 28-29 2023 - (in conjuction w/Executive Connect+) - Hilton Anahiem | Anaheim, CA
- Session III: December 7-8, 2023 - Hillcrest | La Verne, CA
- Session IV: March 2024 - (in conjunction w/ RISE Policy Summit) - Sacramento, CA
- Graduation: May 13-15, 2024 (in conjunction w/ Annual Conference) - Anaheim Marriott | Anaheim, CA
Eligibility, Application, and Commitment
EMERGE is available to anyone who works for a LeadingAge California member. A $2,799 tuition payment (non-refundable and non-transferable) is required from each Fellow’s sponsoring organization. In addition, all lodging and travel expenses are paid by the sponsoring organization (the costs incurred vary depending on the locations of the face-to-face learning experiences).
Fellows should plan on spending between 10-15 hours a month working on EMERGE activities in addition to one hour each month for monthly team conference calls.
Affiliation with a non-LeadingAge California member could result in removal from the program. The application period for EMERGE typically runs from November to February.
All application submissions will be carefully reviewed to ultimately assemble a diverse class of Fellows (in terms of life experience, work experience, geography, type of organization, as well as other unique characteristics). A committee of LeadingAge California member leaders will evaluate applications using the following criteria:
- How well-defined, insightful and introspective are the leadership essays?
- How well does the applicant demonstrate a personal commitment to the field of aging services?
- How well does the applicant demonstrate a dedication to life-long learning?
- To what extent does the applicant possess the capacity to become a transformational leader?
Summary of Qualifications Checklist
Please submit all of the following information along with your completed application (remember that incomplete applications will not be reviewed):
- A resume or brief description of your work experience, educational background and other pertinent information (please limit your submission to no more than two pages).
- Recent photo (headshot with plain background; in-focus, and appropriate for professional setting; high-resolution of 300 dpi or better; and taken within the last 12 months). The photo will not be included in the selection process. If selected, the photo will be used for any EMERGE promotional placements, including recognizing the new class on LeadingAge California’s website. You may upload your photo via the online application or you can email your photo to Kevin Tuuaga at email@example.com
- A brief summary description of your experience in the field of aging services and the responsibilities associated with your current position (please limit your submission to no more than one page).
- A 1-2 page essay response to all three questions below (applicants must submit three separate essays total). Please make sure you provide enough information to give the selection committee insight into your experience and desire to be part of this program. One or two sentence answers are not recommended (please limit your submission to no more than two pages per essay).
Describe the capabilities you possess that make you an effective leader and the specific ways in which you have utilized these attributes in your personal and professional life. In doing so, please refer to a significant professional achievement, your specific role in attaining that achievement and the impact it had on you and your organization.
Describe the perspective and knowledge you hope to acquire as a result of your participation in EMERGE.
Describe your personal commitment to the field of aging services and how you envision using your experience in EMERGE to enhance aging services within your organization, your community and at the state level.
Letters of Reference
Three letters of reference (one personal and two professional). We suggest approaching selected references early in the process to ensure they are completed prior to the February 20, 2023 deadline (please limit your submission to no more than one page per letter). Please include letters of reference in your completed application packet.
A limited number of tuition scholarships are available. For additional information on EMERGE scholarships or for questions regarding the application process, please contact Kevin Tuuaga at 916-469-3365 or firstname.lastname@example.org